ship pilot | maritime pilot | maritime pilot | pilot vessel | pilot ladder requirements | seamanship | part
Prepare pilot ladder for pilot’s used | pilot ladder requirements
- Normally the pilot give instruction to ship to indicate which side pilot ladder to be rigged and the distance between the lowest step and water surface.
- If no instruction from pilot, the ladder must be rigged on the lee-side at the position on deck for pilot embarkation.
- The embarkation and disembarkation of the pilot on board ship should be supervised by a responsible officer,
which should check the following :-
- The pilot ladder ropes fast on the deck eye and avoid the ship’s rail.
- The distance between the lowest ladder step and water surface as per the pilot or master instruction.
- The ladder steps in horizontal along the ship’s side.
Construction of the pilot ladder
requirements of the ship pilot ladder :-
- If made of hardwood or other than hardwoods must be
approved by the administration.
- The four lowest steps must be cover with rupper or other material to the satisfaction of the Administration and the lowest spreader step should be the fifth step.
- They should have an efficient non-slip surface.
Normal steps and spreaders
- They should be not less than 40 cm between the side ropes, 11.5 cm wide and 2.5 cm in depth.
- steps (from 38 cm to 30 cm )
Pilot Ladder Ropes
- The side ropes of the ladder should accommodates two uncovered
- ropes diameter shall be not less than 18 MM on each side and not joins.
- the fabric of side ropes should to be strength fabricated from Manila and must be approved by administration
- the man ropes diameter properly secured and not less than 28 mm
Access to the ship’s deck
The following equipment shall be kept at hand ready for immediate use:-
- Two ropes diameter not less than 28 mm and properly secured to the ship, if required by the pilot.
- A lifebuoy equipped with a self- igniting light.
- A heaving line.
- Stanchions and bulwark ladders shall be provided.
Lighting And Ship’s side doors
- the lighting must be proper use and in good condition.
- Ship side doors used for pilot transfer shall not open outwards.
PILOT LADDER COMBINATION SYSTEM
- An accommodation ladder when the distance from the surface of the water to ship is more than 9 m.
- The accommodation ladder shall be sited leading aft.
Accommodation Ladder Used In Conjunction With Pilot Ladder
- Clear of all discharges.
- The length of the accommodation ladder.
- slope angle of not exceed 55°.